Tuesday, October 26, 2010

If it's Tuesday...


If it’s Tuesday, this must be [insert location of choice here].  Tuesdays are always a little bit odd for me.  I don’t know why, but they are.  I guess everyone must have one day of the week like that.  Or not.  It could just be me.
But my first stroke was on a Tuesday, and I met my first wife on a Tuesday.  I presume those two events to be mutually exclusive, and in no way connected.
Or not.
No football tonight – the New Jersey (boy, does it ever feel strange writing that!)  Giants held on last night to beat a Tony Romo-less Cowboy team in Dallas.  The World Series starts tomorrow without the top two teams in either league.  Best record in the AL went down in the divisional playoffs to worst record of the AL Division Champions Texas Rangers, and best record in Baseball Philadelphia fell to the San Francisco Giants, who had the second worst record in the majors for a divisional champion.  I mean, The World Series!  And the best two teams will be watching it on TV!  Even the perennial Best Team Money can Buy (New York Yankees – where Ranger Cliff Lee will probably be pitching next year) didn’t make it.
I got in trouble last week when someone pointed out that Steelers QB ‘Big’ Ben Roethlisberger points his finger to the sky and gives ‘all the glory to God’ when he makes a touchdown.  I had the audacity to ask who the football player gives the glory to when he’s raping college girls in Georgia?  Rabid Steelers fans don’t take it kindly when you point out to them that their [little ‘g’] sports gods don’t actually walk on water and make silk purses out of sow’s ears.
Did I mention it was Tuesday?
Ok – there are a mess of NHL games on tonight, including the local Tampa team vs the Pittsburgh team I left behind, but I’m pretty certain the only hockey game I ever watched beginning to end was the Miracle in Lake Placid.  Besides.  Hockey in Tampa?!?!?  That’s just wrong!
NAStyCAR doesn’t start for a while, but they don’t really count as a sport.  The only ‘athletes’ in NASCAR are the pit crews, and they don’t get the credit they deserve.
Where was I?  Oh yes, Tuesday.
Usually I would have spent Monday editing audio files.  None posted so far.  Tuesday, I generally think through my menu for the week [check] and spend time either reading a book for review [check] or posting the review [check] and then watch NCIS and NCIS-LA.  I don’t watch The Good Wife.  Too soap opera-ish, and face it – there hasn’t been a good night time soap since we learned who really shot J.R.  Plus, I use the Proverbs definition for a good wide, and the TV version isn’t her.
My wife, on the other hand…
In high school, Gymnastics meets were usually on Tuesdays, and it may have been after school on a Tuesday when I met my first serious high school girlfriend.  Now I think those two actually were related, in a sideways sort of way, and both are pleasant memories.  Not at all like, say, having a stroke in the shower on my wife’s birthday, which was, as I said, a Tuesday.
Mardi Gras begins on a Tuesday each year, and of course there’s Fat Tuesday, a last chance to indulge before Ash Wednesday.  Fat Tuesday, originally called  Shrovetide, dates back to AD 1000 and may possibly be the first recorded Hallmark Holiday.
My wife goes to Tupperware Rallies every other Tuesday, including tonight, and next Tuesday is National Election Day in the United States and Day of the Dead in Mexico.  I may have those two confused.
I already voted by mail, and I’m proud to say I did not vote to re-elect a single incumbent.  Or a single cucumber.  There may be an incompetent or twelve in there.  That, only time…and next Tuesday will tell.
Oh!  I forgot.  Yesterday I finally found International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice coffee creamer – the one made with real cream instead of artificially flavored  partially hydrogenated soybean oil.  I usually drink my coffee black, but for this I’ll make an exception.

No comments: