Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fork in the Road

I find on this cool, crisp -  well, cool and crisp for Florida anyway day (it’s noon:26 and already 82°) that I’m at a fork in the road.
I’m already smiling because even the words ‘fork in the road’ bring an old Animaniacs cartoon moment to mind, and you’ll either get that, or you won’t.
In the years I’ve had a BLOG, first on Yahoo 360°, then on Xanga, and now on Blogger, I’ve been somewhat vociferous in my observation of various political personalities, ranging from President George W. ‘Dubya’ Bush and his ‘Finish Daddy’s War’ presidency to Barack Obama’s “Apologize for America World Tour” to his campaign slogan “We live in the greatest nation in the world – help me change that.” (I pause to acknowledge that he is succeeding in keeping that promise anyway).  I have tried to be an equal opportunity pundit – pretty much railing on them all.
Then a few weeks ago I heard a preacher say something that got my attention.  I have the audio file, so I could look it up and quote him verbatim, but instead I’ll save us all time by giving you the Readers Digest version.   Paraphrasing Pastor Eric Flint from his message on Jonah,  Pastor Eric is the Music Director for Faith Community Church-Lakeside, in McMurray, PA, a community in southwest Pennsylvania about 18 miles south of Pittsburgh, just east of the same US-19 that continues its southerly trek about eight blocks west of my Florida home.  He is a gifted guitarist among other things.  On this particular Saturday night, he too came to a fork in the road and did a brief bit of Rabbit Chasing.  Here’s the synopsis.
“It really doesn’t matter who we elect and send to Washington.  It’s not going to change this nation.  The only thing that will make any difference in this nation is for every American to experience personal repentance and individual personal revival.”
There was more to the statement than that, but that’s the gist of it.  Our nation is in need of spiritual revival, and it’s not going to start in Washington DC or our individual state houses.  It’s only going to happen in each of our individual hearts, souls and lives.
Consider the words spoken by the Lord to Solomon as recorded by Ezra the priest in 2 Chronicles, 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
Or those of Daniel in the 21st verse of the second chapter of the book bearing his name: “He (God) changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them.  He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.”
The conclusion I draw is that while I should vote, and exercise wisdom in so doing, the real issue here is that in the end, this is all in God’s hands, and as Pastor Eric that Saturday night in September concluded, “God always has a plan.”  The next morning, Pastor Curt Carpenter concluded “God is in control.”  The conclusion of Senior pastor Tom Lemmon, echoed by Pastor David Miles Sunday here in our Florida church agrees.  God is in control, and the thing that will restore America is not a change of elected officials – that’s in God’s hand, but rather, a change in the hearts, minds and souls of individual people.  Revival begins with repentance – turning from sin and to God.  Of Trusting Jesus Christ as Savior, and committing our lives and trust to Him and His eternal glory.  Of repentance and change.  One person at a time.
I may make the occasional political observation in this forum, but for now, there are priorities of more eternal value, and other things to talk about.

No comments: