It’s really not too early to begin thinking about Christmas gifts for your loved ones, and if you want to combine early shopping, casual atmosphere, and an opportunity to meet the individuals who are the creative minds behind your purchases, The Holiday Writer’s Fair at Brentwood Estates Clubhouse, Brentwood Estates, 15025 Savannah Avenue, Hudson, FL 34667 on Saturday, December 11th , 2010 from 1:00 – 3:00 PM is just the place for you. Brentwood Estates is an upscale mobile home park located on New York Avenue and Hicks Road (about 1/2 mile east of Little Road.)
In addition to paintings by local artist Richard Brehm of Brentwood, the following authors will be participating in this event, giving you the opportunity to meet them, and purchase signed copies of their work.
- Jerry Ravino, retired U.S. Marine, resident of Beacon Woods, author of ELITE (a chronicle of the activities of the First Marine Recon Company during the Korean War) and FLAME DRAGONS (a chronicle of the activities of the only flame thrower tank unit to serve in Korea during that was. Jerry was a member of that unit.)
- David Roth, of New Port Richey and author of SOMETIMES I HEAR VOICES, ALICE'S GOLDFINCH and ADVENTURES OF THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. David has also published poetry and is a recognized and oft published book reviewer. David will also be giving a fifteen minute presentation of the subject of Writers and their Craft.
- Lisa Grace, author of ANGEL IN THE SHADOWS, A Christian alternative for Young Adult readers to the recent Vampire and Demon phenomenon Ms. Grace will be speaking on the subject of The Evidence of Real Angels.
- Jeff Cannon is president of the Pasco County Historical Society and has written several books covering the history of some of the towns (by the standards of a "big city boy" there are no cities in Pasco County) in Pasco County including one on the community of Hudson. Jeff will be speaking about writing about local history. Mr. Cannon is a recognized expert on that little cemetery located on Hudson Avenue and US 19.
- Elissa Malcohn is a published author of a number of science fiction/fantasy books and poems. Her "science fiction" is not about rocket ships and zap guns. The science(s) she fictionalizes are psychology and sociology, using humanoid (but not necessarily human) characters and earth-like settings to make her points. In addition to those books she has published herself, she has appeared in other publications such as the October/November issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. Ms. Malcohn will also be making a brief presentation.
- Alfred J. (Joe) D'Amario, author of HANGAR FLYING and his current work in progress, TWO ON THE RAMP AND ONE IN THE HANGAR.
Each of these artists/writers/speakers is from the local area, but their work, while undiscovered by the big publishing houses, is well worth your attention. Reviews of several of them have already appeared in this column.
Mark your calendars and make a date for this event. Admission is free.