Friday, April 1, 2011

EDITOR'S PIECE OF MIND

I’m publishing the work of a guest BLOGGER today, C. Hope Clark, the editor of Funds for Writers Newsletter.  Her contact info will appear at the bottom of the BLOG.  The article is reproduced with the author’s permission from her newest FREE newsletter Volume 11, Issue 13, April 1, 2011, and if you’re a writer, you need to read this piece, and you’ll want to subscribe to her FREE newsletter.  This is an article I’m saving! 

BE EXCITED

Time after time I receive emails from scared writers.  They are afraid to submit, some even afraid to write.  Most fear making mistakes in publishing their stories.  Half the time I want to hug them and say it'll be okay.  At other times I want to grip their shoulders and tell them to snap out of it.
That fear is the largest obstacle to their writing.
It's not the scams. It's not the naysayers.  Heck, it's not even the rejections.  It's them. They are their worst enemies.
I want you excited about writing, about being a writer.  That adrenaline drives you to write more. That adrenaline pushes you through the rejection while seeking acceptance.  Whether published or not, that internal power makes you want to do better and not settle for anything short of a product to be superbly proud of showing to anyone, anywhere.
So many times writers want me to tell them whether their work is any good, so they know whether or not to continue.  That's a weak cop-out. They are the only ones who can make that call.
There's power in calling your own shots.  Because with the power of growing also comes responsibility. When you are not published, you need to try harder, whether it's in your query efforts or the quality of your word-slinging.  If someone hurts your feelings, it's because you let them.  You decide what knocks you down and how hard.  Not anyone else.
Nobody tells me that I don't write well.  Nobody tells me to give up.  They may say a piece needs work, but hell, I know that.  I'll always know I can make any effort better. And it doesn't matter if they publish me or not, I'll continue to improve over the last piece I wrote.
We write and read and grow.  Then one day, fate matches our needs with those of an editor or publisher, and magic happens.
Choose to be ever excited.  You'll be a happier writer.

C. Hope Clark, Editor,  Funds for Writers,  www.fundsforwriters.com
Writer's Digest 101 Best Web Sites for Writers - 2001-2010
A decade of recognized excellence Blog - www.hopeclark.blogspot.com

No comments: