Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dave's No Mayo Potato Salad


I can eat almost anything.  Ok, I draw the line at stuff like raw fish, liver, sweetbreads, tripe, beets, or corned beef, which does an instant U-turn when it hits my stomach, but most things go down with minimal effort.  I can even male sprouts taste good; no small accomplishment, if you ask me.  Not so my wife and her mother, for whom I am chief Chef in residence.
Mother-in-law is allergic to shellfish, and, she claims, pork or ham of any kind, and both ladies have an egg allergy.  Do you have any idea how many things are eliminated from a person’s when they can’t tolerate eggs?  It’s not like they are going to go into anaphylactic shock or anything like that, but they do both experience certain, shall we say, gastric malfunctions, and in my wife’s case, a uniquely female difficult when eating eggs or something with raw egg byproducts, like, say, mayonnaise or miracle whip.
Which, of course, creates a unique creative opportunity for the chef in residence (yours truly, thank you very much) who can eat eggs the way most people breath air.  Fried, scrambled, boiled, in omelets, casseroles, quiches – it doesn’t matter.  In fact, about the only way I don’t eat (or drink) eggs is raw, or in nog.  You simply can’t put enough rum in eggnog to make it palatable for me.  There simply aren’t enough U’s in Ewwwww to describe my thoughts about the taste of eggnog.
So here is my challenge.  Create dishes for them which usually require mayonnaise or miracle whip without mayonnaise or miracle whip.
Today, that challenge lent itself to the creation of potato Salad the ladies can eat without gastric repercussions or the aforementioned but unnamed female problem.
You might want to save this, even if you are OK with mayo.

Dave’s No-Mayo Potato Salad

3 lbs Yukon gold or new red potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes and steamed, skin on.
¼ cup shredded radish
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced sweet onion

That’s the salad part, but I’m guessing you figured that out already.


No Mayo Dressing

½ cup softened cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup honey
3 TBS White Wine Vinegar
1TBS Ground Mustard Seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 TBS dried dill weed

Place all the dressing ingredients in a medium sided bowl and hand whisk until smooth.  Oh, OK – you can use your electric mixer if you want, but you won’t be happy with it.  Mixers don’t get it as smooth as whisking it does.
Fold the combined ingredients into the steamed and cooled potatoes and other vegetables, mixing until everything is coated and equally distributed.  Refrigerate until chilled, and serve chilled.
I’m guessing this would work with cole saw too, but the ladies don’t like raw cabbage. [sigh]
At any rate, the ladies devoured it, so I guess it worked.  I use variations of this for chicken salad and tuna salad.
Oh, if you like, you can dust the finished salad with paprika.

Bon Appétit


No comments: