Thursday, November 18, 2010

AVG SCAM Update

Last week I told you about my ongoing debate, if you can call it that – debates are generally two-sided – with AVG Technologies regarding my purchase of an upgrade to their highly regarded Internet Security Suite 2011.  If you missed that wee rant, you can find it here.
I’m pretty certain AVG Technologies has been taken over by the government.  That’s the only explanation that makes any sense, and that explanation is totally senseless.
Since AVG confirmed receipt of my money through PayPal at 10:22 am US Eastern time (GMT-5) in 10th November, 2010, I have sent them no less than a dozen replies for requests from them for the transaction information.  According to their web site, the product comes with a 100% satisfaction money back guarantee.
Tuesday, 16th November, 2010 at around 11:00 am local time AVG emailed me to say that an order had been processed to issue a refund, which should show up immediately in my Pay Pal account.
This morning I called AVG.  I was promptly and rudely informed that telephone technical support is available only as a pre-paid purchased option for home users.  When I tried to explain that this was a sales issue, not a tech support issue, she hung up on me and switched me to an automated message which provided the email address for technical support.
Also this morning I received two emails from AVG.  One of them explained that there is no record of my transaction – would I please forward this information to them (which I’ve done a dozen times a dozen times already), and at the same time bearing the same sent from return address and the same time stamp, two emails with a license number.
So, to make a long story even longer, in the same instance they deny any record of a transaction for refund purposes, but apparently have enough evidence of a transaction to send me a license number nine days after the fact.
The problem is that I don’t want the bloody license.  I want my money back.
I even tried asking in Klingon.

No comments: