Tuesday, June 16, 2015

No Such Thing as Coincidences

I had the most amazing experience just an hour or so ago at Publix in the produce section. I got to pray for healing from cancer with a man named Jay. What's that got to do with this meme? I struck up a conversation with Jay because I heard him say something about his upcoming 53rd wedding anniversary, so I congratulated him and his wife, and added, "That's quite a testimony, sir, ma'am." His face lit up like the sun when he answered, "Son, it takes three to make a marriage work this long. Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior?" "Yes sir, I do - it wil be 50 years come this November 21st."

We spoke some more, and he told me about his recently diagnosed bone cancer, and just wanting to Glorify the Lord with what time he had left. I asked if it would be too presumptuous of me to pray for him right there in the produce section, and he smiled and said not at all. I imagine we may have offended some people, but Paul once said "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” Romans 1:16-17 NKJV.

I believe God just might work another miracle in this kind gentleman's life. He knows Jesus, He's been blessed with 53 years of marriage to a godly woman, he was a blessing and encouragement to me today even as we prayed together standing there between the frozen waffles and the Vidalia onions. I don't believe in coincidences, but I do believe in the power of prayer and a God of miracles.

 The whole point of this wee little missive is maybe to just remind us of Paul's instructions to his young protégé, Timothy:

 "I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry." 2 Timothy 4:1-5 (NKJV)

Or, there’s that other thing. Maybe with God, there just aren’t any such things as coincidences.

No comments: